Thursday, November 11, 2010

Days

Being a mom sure isn't glamorous.  At least the way I do it.  

I do a lot of things I never thought I'd do.  I spend my days in sweatpants and maternity tops.  I make Mac and Cheese.  Sometimes twice a day.  I hate Kraft Mac and Cheese.  The house always seems messy, I feel messy and Lucy usually is messy.  I let Lucy eat off the floor and I let Oliver lick her.  Her clothes don't always match, and mine definitely don't.  

And lately I have been feeling a bit down.  I always thought I'd lose the baby weight when I was nursing.  I was convinced I would be skinnier than ever.  Not only would nursing be good for Lucy, but I would look awesome while doing it.  This didn't happen.  So, almost 2 years after our IVF cycle, I am anxious to be my old self.  To be skinnier and prettier.  To be a little more perfect.

So, when I went to Kim's house to pick up Lucy's birthday pictures, I wasn't feeling particularly pretty.  No make-up, sloppy hair, baby tummy, jeans that don't fit right.  And then Kim took out her camera, and I protested, but she insisted.  And I absolutely cherish the results.  Because my life with Lucy isn't perfect, and I'm not perfect, but together I think we are pretty special.  I think she looks beautiful.  I think I look beautiful too.  There are so few pictures of the two of us, that I'm grateful that I have documented, stored and remembered forever, how much we love each other.

Thank you Kim, for once again, being an amazing friend. 

P.S.  Look at her skin color!  I'm 100% pasty in comparison.  
Lucy is a lucky, olive-skinned, duck!





9 comments:

hmmm said...

These photos are so beautiful, you and Lucy look beautiful, and I'm a little choked up! (in a good way :)

Unknown said...

Totally tearing up over here...as in tears spilling over. I knew these would look so amazing as bee dubs, glad you changed that first one. :) I feel SO honored to know you! SO truly blessed. Thank you for letting me take these anyway. :) We love you. xo

Patty Girl said...

Those are such great photos! They all seem so tender. I think Lucy is such a happy, cheerful sweet girl so you sure must be doing lots of things right! Besides, most of the things you listed are just smart time savers, like letting Oliver lick her. I think you are a great mom!

Lizzie said...

Gorgeous pictures.

The Oborn Supremacy said...

You and your Lucy are beautiful! They are such sweet and special pictures. I think you described how most every mom feel almost everyday. Thanks for helping remember how special it is to be a Mom.

BreeAnn said...

so cute Linds! I feel ya! We all want to be our best self, and sometimes feel like we are so far from getting there! We women have so many roles to play, to make us feel complete. You are a great mom and Lucy is a sweetheart! Love ya!

Taryn said...

I want to cry she looks like a little toddler and not a baby anymore....She is getting so big without me. I think you are doing great! It is HARD being a mom.

caitlin said...

Well if it helps I think you always look put together and fashionable. Your hair always looks perfect, even when it's what you call messy, I think it looks like you did it on purpose.

I know being a mom isn't living in New York, going to fancy restaurants, and staying out until 3 in the morning, but I think being a mom is one of the coolest things in the world, and Lucy is one lucky girl to have such loving parents like you and Scott, and a lick or two from Oliver :)

Candi said...

You are darling and so is Lucy! I also always thought I wouldn't be that mom and my kids would be perfect! Oh the dreaming of that but you know I love my unperfect world too! hugs to you! lets try and get together I would love to meet Lucy! I love the pictures they are perfect.