Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Birthstones

Just off of a main highway, that runs through the central valley of Oahu, down from the Dole Plantation, lies the Kukaniloko Birthstones Monument. It's easy to miss, just a small marker, and a red dirt road in the middle of the plantation points you in the right direction. But although initially inconspicuous, the Birthstones were easily one of our favorite things we did. I'm not sure why exactly, but Scott and I make it a point to visit sacred places. There is something about going to a spot that has been sacred for hundreds of years, and standing where others have stood that's pretty cool. I'm looking at you, Temple Church, Westminster and Stonehenge. I'm not sure if it is just because these spots are old, or because there is so much history associated with them, or if it is just because we are nerds, but it is one of our favorite things to do when traveling. Ok, it's probably because we are nerds. Anyway, this spot was peaceful (ignore the screaming baby in a diaper), and amazingly beautiful. If based on beauty alone, we could see why it was so special.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. -Mom

sheena said...

LOVE the diaper!

Unknown said...

Stunning images Lindsey! I too LOVE to visit sacred places. We always visit old churches and graveyards when we travel as well. I could spend hours reading head stones and thinking about the lives each of these people may have lived. I think it might drive my family crazy. Girl's trip? :)