Sunday, July 31, 2011

The 4th

See, here’s the thing about film, every event in your life is delayed in your blog post by several weeks. Which is okay, because I’m still behind in posting about several years. So it helps take the pressure off.

But here are the photos from our 4th of July weekend. As you can tell, it was awesome. I didn’t even take photos of half of it. I mean, Scott and I hosted another calzone, movie night with my family the Saturday before, and we didn’t get one picture. Even though it was really fun, and I had striped swizzle straws. And I didn’t take any photos of the breakfast I made after our parade. It was pretty good too. I made a pea dip, which sounds really funny and naughty, but tastes really good. And of course, there are no photos of me, and sadly, none of Scott. I was wondering why, and then I remembered he stayed back most of the parade to redo the muffins I made that morning. It was actually pretty tragic. After staying up until 2 AM to make homemade cinnamon rolls, I decided I should make muffins as well. So, I got up at 6AM to make those. And then I turned the oven 100 degrees too high and burned them. I may have said a bad word. Or two. And the muffins I made had fresh cherries, which I had pitted with a knife. For the record, this isn’t the most practical way to do things (I'm buying a Cherry Stoner next season.)

Anyway, to back up, for our 4th of July, we had my family over for the local parade and then back to our house for a breakfast. A couple of words about the parade, when I say local, I mean small. I’m not saying Murray is the most awesome parade I have ever been too, but it is our own little quirky neighborhood parade, and I love it. It doesn’t hurt that I basically have to walk out my front door to see it. A good example of the quirkiness is the little girl walking around, holding a stuffed prairie dog, and crying, “SAVE THE PRAIRIE DOGS! THEY NEED OUR HELP!” And everyone watching was muttering, “we hate prairie dogs!” Scott and I are included in this group. They dig up our lawn and leave big holes. Also, the candy was all gone by the time the parade reached us. We tried using Lucy as bait, but it didn’t really work, and Whitney and I caught several cheerleaders giving us crusty’s. "What?!" We have a 2-year-old! We aren’t cheaters."

Later, for dinner we headed to the Stewart’s for a wonderful barbeque, where the kids stripped down and swam, even though it was pretty cool.

And then Dan, Tara, Spencer and Evie joined us at our place for fireworks. Another great thing about our house, we can watch the fireworks from our front lawn. And since the big fireworks are now legal, we had a 360 degree pre-show from all our neighbors. I have to give a shout out to Alex and Carly, whose personal firework display lasted longer than the actual fireworks.

All in all, it was a wonderful way to spend the holiday, with all of our family. 
And the next day, I slept in! Happy Delayed Holidays everyone!
 Colby is super excited about the parade

 The mayor

Whitney and Jake, in town from Buffalo




 I'm not sure what this is a float of. A rest home, maybe?


 We want candy!!




 Rambo beads. Manly, yet well accessorized.



 The damage


Priceless!



2 comments:

WIKKY said...

Looks like a fun filled day! You take some amazing pics!!!!

Taryn said...

so fun...I wish we were there. Lucy is so cute, I just want to squeeze her.