Sunday, December 7, 2008

{Tired and Sick, but Still Reading}

Here are some of the books I have read in the last couple of weeks. The first two I had read before, but Peace Like A River was a new read that I borrowed from Taryn. It was beautiful. If anyone is looking for a good read I'd recommend all 3. I also highly recommend the film adaptations of Cold Comfort Farm (spot on) and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Of course, if you haven't already seen Breakfast at Tiffany's I'm not sure we can be friends. Ok, we can still be friends, but only if you go rent it right away.

What I've found does the most good is just to get into a taxi and go to Tiffany's. It calms me down right away, the quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there, not with those men in their nice suits ~ Truman Capote (This book cover is horrible)

I've always liked the phrase, 'a marriage has been arranged.' When I feel like it, I'll arrange one ~ Stella Gibbons

Here was the whole dizzying sky bowled up over us. We were inside the sky. It didn't make the stars any closer, only clearer...Swede shoud've been there, she'd have had words. She's have known that orange to be volcanic or forgestruck or a pinprick between our blackened world and one the color of sunsets. I thought of God making it all, picking up handfuls of whatever material...rolling it in His fingers like nubby wheat. The picture I had was of God taking these rough pellets by the handful and casting them gently, like a man planting
~ Leif Enger

3 comments:

rYLeE & KaTiE said...

I am a big Peace Like a River fan! I think Leif Enger is a master at creating really beautiful poetic verse. I asked for his new one for my birthday! I'm glad you got to experience it. I wrote a poem about it once...

Shan @ Design Gal said...

I'm so excited about these! I've been looking for a few new, GOOD books! The last time I asked someone for a good recommendation, they suggested Twilight. Augh.

So thank you for these!

caitlin said...

phew.. we can still be friends.. i have def. seen breakfast at tiffany's.. and can sing you that song too.. BONUS POINTS!