Tuesday, March 4, 2008

{To Market, To Market}

Today we visited the street and food market where you literally could buy a fat pig. The meat section held a strange fascination for me. There was stomach and weird meat flesh, chickens with their head on and their head stumps, skinned pigs and unidentifiable items I didn't want to examine too closely. I was gagging the whole time, but couldn't help photographing it. It is odd to see meat in that state. I don't even really like touching boneless, skinless chicken. I don't know how I would deal with one with its head still on.
It was stinky there but we got over it enough to order some of the best hot chocolate I have ever had. It was like drinking straight dark chocolate with whipped cream. Amazing, but something to be enjoyed in small doses.
In the morning we went and saw the David. It was pretty impressive. Of course I already felt like I had seen the David since every where you turn in Florence a certain body part is plastered on boxer shorts, post cards, aprons, you name it. Is there some sort of complex going on here? We also went to San Lorenzo church and the Medici Library next to the market. The church was another church, but the library was impressive. Lots of old, old books. The best one, in our opinion, was the early edition of the Divine Comedy. Of course the erotic Japanese scroll depicting a phallic contest was pretty sweet too. That wasn't a joke, that really was the last book.
If anyone is wondering why so many posts, it is because for some strange reason Blogger is the only website we can access without paying. It must be a sign, and such a gift cannot be ignored. Oh, on a funny side note right now we are watching British CNN and hearing them discuss how the Utah Jazz has the best at home record in the NBA. One has to wonder the relevance of the Utah Jazz as an international topic. Another slice of life is that last night I fell asleep listening to a woman, who sounded just like Cher, singing Crocodile Rock in the plaza below. La Vita E' Bella.



















4 comments:

ike and em said...

Oh so fun!! It is so fun to read about what you're seeing and doing. The photos tell their own delightful story. We are all living vicariously through you!

BreeAnn said...

Linds- I love the pictures and the posts! I am so jealous you are in Italy! How fabulous! Is it cold? I am sure you are having a great time!

Tara and Dan said...

The pictures are awesome! keep em coming!

Hmm, makes you wonder what they put in that hot chocolate to make it so good....

Anonymous said...

LuAnn said...
I love all the pictures. I'm not as fond of the meat pictures. Not my favorite food item. I looked this morning, and then at 10:00 and you had new ones up. So exciting.